Are you longing for cosy festive lights, mulled wine and quality time with your friends and family this Christmas? A trip to Glasgow this Winter will give you a little of what you fancy! The list of things to do in Glasgow gets even longer with the addition of lights, markets, pantos, shows and so much more. Before you add to your list of things to do in Glasgow, book your stay in PREMIER SUITES. Our spacious serviced apartments in the heart of the city are so close to the action that you may be able to see it from the window! Our suites offer families, friends, groups, couples and solo travellers everything they need to settle in quickly and enjoy the festivities in Glasgow.
Christmas Lights Switch-on Glasgow
19th November marks the first official day of the Christmas countdown in Glasgow. George Square, literally on the doorstep of our Glasgow accommodation, is illuminated with thousands of twinkling lights adding to the festive atmosphere that takes over in November and December. From 4.30 pm until 7.00 pm this free, family-friendly event takes over the square. The event is hosted by Clyde 1 presenters and will be packed with carols, live music, sing-alongs, choirs, and appearances by some of the cast of Pavilion Theatre pantomime Treasure Island.
Christmas Theatre in Glasgow
Every year, theatres big and small in Glasgow outdo themselves with festive shows, pantos and family fun and this year is no different. There are dozens of shows taking place in November and December. Pavilion Theatre Panto Treasure Island runs from 30th November until 14th January and is one of the biggest and best in the city. The fairest panto of them all takes residence in Kings Theatre from 2nd December until 7th January with their reimagining of the children’s classic Snow White. Nearby our Glasgow accommodation, Platform Glasgow are hosting their version of Cinderella, packed full of songs, jokes and larger-than-life characters.
Christmas Markets in Glasgow
Shopping in Glasgow is always an experience, but we’re spoiled for choice over Christmas. There are a couple of small local art and craft fairs like the Art Lover’s Christmas Fayre and Artists Christmas Market in November and early December. St Enoch Square becomes home to one of the most beautiful Christmas markets from 17 November until 3 January 2024. With a focus on local and independent traders, you’re sure to find something unique to take home as a keepsake. Start your Santa shopping at George Square Christmas Market on 1st December and get into the Christmas spirit. You’ll find dozens of stalls selling high-quality goods and plenty of festive food and drink to keep you warm.
Festive Events in Glasgow
There are dozens of festive events happening in Glasgow in the run-up to Christmas, including;
- Glasgow Royal Concert Hall has performances of Swing Into Christmas on 14th November, Christmas at the Musicals on 10th December and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra’s Christmas Concert featuring The Snowman on 23rd December.
- Also at the Royal Concert Hall, Mc Dougall’s Big Christmas Show will be great for children up to 9 years old. There are 1 & 3pm shows on 24th December, the perfect way to tire them out for the arrival of Santa!
- The Muppet Christmas Carol in Concert at the SEC Armadillo on 26th November is sure to be an absolute delight. We’re looking forward to the reimagining of this Christmas classic
- Scottish Ballet’s run of Cinders! at the Theatre Royal from 9th until 31st December promises fantastic entertainment for families and friends of all ages.
- The much-loved Glasgow Santa Dash takes place on Sunday 10 December at 10.00 am, giving participants a chance to raise funds for the Beatson Cancer Charity and the Lord Provost’s Charity Fund.
- The traditional Blessing of the Crib takes place in George Square beneath the Christmas lights to a chorus of singers with the Lord Provost of Glasgow. Date TBC
… And so much more!
After a day of shows, shopping or exploring, relax in the comfortable surroundings of our serviced apartment accommodation with a glass of bubbles, a takeaway and your favourite Christmas movies on TV. For exclusive access to special offers at PREMIER SUITES Glasgow, book using our official website. You’ll find more information about our family packages and our Festive Cheers package, ideal for couples. We look forward to welcoming you to Glasgow for a memorable festive break.